Dimensions let you explore your data, providing various levels of breakdown or grouping in your reports.
Bright Analytics' report engine let you define 2 types of dimension:
- Simple Dimensions, which directly map to a specific field in a data source.
- Mapped dimensions, which join a field in your data sources to a meta/lookup table.
Creating a Simple dimension
- Imagine you have a data source which contains a column with device type and you want to be able to run reports which break the data in this datasource down by device type.
- Create a new dimension in the report engine dimension tree by right-clicking on a folder in the Dimension tree to create a new dimension.
- Click on your newly created dimension and click the '+' as below:
- You will be presented with a list of data sources : pick the table you want to be able to report from with this new dimension. Once you've picked a datasource, select a field and click save. You'll also be able to see all the new compatibilities that your dimensions will have with metrics.
- You will then be taken back to the Dimension overview screen and should now see a mapping to the datasource you just selected:
- You can add multiple tables if your datasource has so.
- Don't forget to hit commit changes at the top of the page!
- For information on how to map dimensions using a lookup table please read this article.